Voices from Russia

Friday, 6 July 2012

Fr Vsevolod Chaplin was Pleased Over the News of the Reported Discovery of the “God Particle”


On Wednesday, Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin, the head of the MP Department for Church and Society, congratulated the CERN scientists on their possible discovery of the Higgs boson, saying, “I’m happy for their discovery, and I’d like to congratulate the scientists. Probably, once again, it raises the question… has matter always been what it is now, or did it develop from a specific incident? Apparently, it isn’t eternal and immutable, as was the theory put forward a few decades ago”.

Media reports on Wednesday make known that scientists at CERN in Switzerland announced the discovery of new subatomic particles. It may be the “Higgs boson” or “God particle”, which according to the Standard Model of physics, created the whole mass of the universe. CERN spokesman Joseph Incandela said, “These are preliminary results, but we think that they’re significant”. Confirmation of the existence of the Higgs particle will be the missing link in the most accepted theory by most scholars today about the structure of the theory of the universe. When it began to cool after the Big Bang, a hypothetical force formed, known as the Higgs field. This field explains the appearance of the mass of the particles that formed atoms.

Fr Vsevolod told us that the Director of Research and Scientific Computing at CERN, Sergio Bertolucci, “frankly admits that only about 4 percent of existing particles are the subject of research; we still have much to learn of the other 96 percent of the universe. Indeed, in my opinion, mankind is only beginning to comprehend the world around us, both in a spiritual and material sense. We really don’t know for sure even what’s located twenty kilometres (@12 miles) below ground, although we see distant hints of what’s there. As that’s so, we open up opportunities for science and ideas, but we also gain knowledge and understanding of their limitations, pointing up the remarkable boldness and humility of the human mind”.

4 July 2012




Blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: