The Ilya Muromets bomber was developed in the early twentieth century by the Aviation Department of the Russian-Baltic Wagon Factory in St Petersburg under the supervision of Igor Sikorsky; 23 December was the 120th anniversary of his birth. From 1912 to 1917, Igor Sikorsky was head of the Russian-Baltic design bureau in St Petersburg (Petrograd), supplying airplanes to the Russian forces. Here, he built aircraft such as the S-6, S-10, and S-11, which won first place in the Russian military aircraft competitions in 1912-13. In 1913, he built (and personally flew) the world’s first four-engine airplane, the Sikorsky Grand, the forerunner of many modern bombers and transport aircraft. Then, he directed the construction of the Russky Vityaz and Ilya Muromets. Besides this, Sikorsky also designed monoplane scouts, float variants of landplanes, fighters, a number of variations on the Ilya Muromets. Amongst his design innovations adopted everywhere by the mid-1920s was a fully-enclosed cabin for the pilot and passengers.
25 December 2012