Exactly 160 years ago, the art collector P M Tretyakov, a merchant and textile manufacturer, purchased the first paintings for his gallery. Tretyakov devoted more than 40 years of his life to the aim of creating a museum of the Russian National School of Painting. In the 1881, the gallery opened to the public. In 1892, Tretyakov gave his collection to the city of Moscow as a gift.
22 May 2016