Voices from Russia

Tuesday, 4 April 2017

Three Days of Mourning Began in St Petersburg After the Metro Explosion

____________________________________

Editor:

Latest reports are speaking of 14 dead, with no elaborations. Expect the figures to bounce around a bit until they settle down some time tomorrow.

BMD

******

A three-day mourning period, previously announced by the St Petersburg City Government, began on Tuesday in connection with the Metro explosion, in which, according to recent data from the National Anti-Terrorist Committee, killed 11 people and injured 45. Meanwhile, on Monday night, the main MChS office in St Petersburg published a list of victims in hospital. It enumerated 51 people. Meanwhile, the investigation is considering different versions of what happened in the stretch between the Sennaya Ploshchad and Technological Institute stations. In particular, a law enforcement source said that the alleged suspect that might have committed the terakt* had close connections with radical Islamists. In addition, according to the source, the version that the St Petersburg Metro terakt was a solo action is only one of several [scenarios under scrutiny].

  • Terakt: Russian acronym for “terrorist action”

Enough Blood

The administration of a St Petersburg hospital where victims are under care said that they have adequate supplies of blood. Health Minister V I Skvortsova arrived in Petersburg; she called on residents to participate in donor campaigns:

There isn’t a shortage. Right now, our supply of blood and blood products is sufficient, but experience shows that when there’s such a tragedy, there’s no such thing as surplus blood. Therefore, we’d be very grateful to those who’d take part in donor campaigns.

Skvortsova noted that, in the morning, the Ministry of Health would hold a consultation via videoconference with leading Moscow clinicians and medical specialists, who’d discuss the treatment plan for the victims.

Washington Wants to Help

Shortly after the tragedy, President Putin laid flowers at the Technological Institute metro station. Then, he telephoned his US counterpart, Donald Trump, who gave Russians words of support. D S Peskov, Putin’s Media Secretary, said:

In a telephone conversation with Vladimir Putin, Donald Trump expressed his deep condolences to the families and friends of the victims of the barbaric terakts perpetrated in the St Petersburg Metro and asked [Putin] to convey his words of support to the Russian people. Putin thanked his American counterpart for his solidarity.

In turn, the White House later said that during a telephone conversation Trump offered Putin assistance in bringing those responsible for the tragedy to justice. The White House media office released:

President Trump offered full support of the US government in response to the attack to bring the perpetrators to justice. President Trump and President Putin agreed that we must defeat terrorism resolutely and quickly.

Was It a Terakt?

Peskov said:

From a legal standpoint, we can’t call the tragedy a terakt, as the investigation must check all possible scenarios. The signs seem to point to a terakt, but the investigation is obliged to consider all possible versions. It’s impossible from a legal point of view to call it a terakt because we must look at all versions. The investigating authorities must be able to say with certainty that this was a terakt. It looks like one, but investigations must follow a certain order.

Meanwhile, a law enforcement source told us:

The suspect in the terakt had close connections with radical Islamic groups operating in Russia. Moreover, these groups were already under special services scrutiny. The version of a solo suicide-bomber, who first left a bomb at the Ploshchad Vosstaniya station, and then detonated a second bomb on another line, is only one of several. The bomb neutralised at the Nevsky station was equivalent to one kilo of TNT.

A Native of Central Asia

Our source also said:

In the possible epicentre of the explosion, we found the body of a native of one of the Central Asian countries; however, it’s too early to call him a suicide bomber.

Meanwhile, some media reported that a Kazakh citizen could’ve been the perp of the St Petersburg terakt on 3 April. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Kazakhstan commented on this information, stating that talk about a Kazakh being involved in the tragedy was premature. In his Facebook page, Press Secretary of the Foreign Ministry Anuar Zhaynakov wrote:

The search for 22-year-old Kazakh citizen Maksim Aryshev, who was in the Metro at the time of the explosion and stopped communicating after the incident, continues. I think that to talk about the possible involvement of Aryshev in the St Petersburg terakt is premature. The search continues.

Zhaynakov revealed that the Kazakh Consul General in St Petersburg received a phone call from Irina Arysheva from Alma-Ata, who said that when the explosion happened, she lost contact with her son… Maksim Vitalyevich Aryshev, born in 1996. Maksim lived in St. Petersburg with his girlfriend and her family. According to relatives, Maksim’s last contact was at 14.30 on 3 April; he said that he was coming home after classes at the University from the Sennaya Ploshchad station through the Technological Institute station.

The Situation is Under Control

Peskov said:

Of course, the president now actually receives new input from the special services and investigative agencies. Apparently, tomorrow, he’ll continue to receive this information. The city and federal authorities will take all proper measures to assist the victims and their families. At a meeting of the FSB directorate, the President reported on the preliminary results of the initial investigation into the explosion. Representatives of the FSB, MChS, MVD, and Rosgvardiya reported on the preliminary results of the initial phase of the investigation.

Meanwhile, Svetlana Petrenko, an official representative of the SK RF, said that a criminal investigation is under the personal control of its Chairman A I Bastrykin.

4 April 2017

RIA Novosti

https://ria.ru/society/20170404/1491422064.html

“We’re With You, Brothers!”

____________________________________

I just got off the phone after getting a ring from the Ukraine. They’re going through it, too. They’re writing in the social networks all over the Ukraine, from Lvov to Kharkov. Yes, all the beasts, geeks, and fiends in my homeland are beginning a veritable dance on the bones [of the victims].

RUSSIANS!

Don’t pay attention to these wretched and vile creatures. I can’t find the right words to express my anger at such… be aware that normal Ukrainians (they’re the overwhelming majority) grieve with you and pray for you! They say, “We’re with you, brothers!” May the innocent victims achieve the Kingdom of Heaven.

Aleksei Zhuravko

3 April 2017

Aleksei Zhuravko

Facebook

OFFICIAL President Putin Expressed His Condolences to the Families of Those Killed and Injured in the St Petersburg Metro Explosion

____________________________________

OFFICIAL

There were dead and injured in the recent St Petersburg Metro explosion. I want to express my most sincere regret and sympathy to the relatives of the victims. I’ve already talked to the heads of the special services, FSB Director A V Bortnikov, law enforcement officials, and special services operatives. I’ve urged them to do everything in order to identify the causes of the incident so that we can come to a full understanding of what happened. If needed, local and federal officials will take all necessary measures in order to provide support to the families of those killed and injured. It’s still too early to say what happened, it’s not yet clear. The investigation will show [us what happened]. Naturally, we always consider all options… domestic and criminal and manifestations of a terrorist nature… let’s see. In the near future, the investigation will give us all the answers to what happened in this tragedy.

Vladimir Vladimirovich Putin

President of the Russian Federation

3 April 2017

Kremlin.ru

Russian government official website

http://kremlin.ru/events/president/news/54175

OFFICIAL Condolences of His Holiness Patriarch Kirill on the Loss of Lives in the St Petersburg Metro Bombing

____________________________________

OFFICIAL

His Eminence Varsonofy Sudakov, Metropolitan of St Petersburg and Ladoga

G S Poltavchenko, Governor of the Federal City of St Petersburg

Your Eminence!

Esteemed Georgi Sergeyevich!

I had a sharp pain in my heart when I heard the tragic news of the explosion today in the St Petersburg Metro. This impudent crime has no justification. The Church strongly condemns aggression against civilians and calls on everyone to oppose any manifestations of violence. I express my sincere condolences to the bereaved families and relatives. I urge our clergy in St Petersburg to provide all necessary assistance and spiritual support to those affected by this disaster. In our grief today for the departed, let us dissipate our sadness with heartfelt prayer, and let the words of our Lord Jesus Christ strengthen us:

He that hears My word, and believes on Him that sent Me, has everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life. (Gospel according to St John the Theologian 5.24).

May the Almighty bestow His abundant help upon the first responders, medical workers, law enforcement personnel, and all those who made efforts to overcome the consequences of the disaster. I offer prayer to God the Creator of All for the speedy healing of the wounded and the repose of the souls of His newly-departed servants in the Heavenly Mansions, “where all the just dwell”.

With deepest sympathy,

00 patriarch kirill 01 300715+KIRILL

Patriarch of Moscow and all the Russias

3 April 2017

Patriarchia.ru

MP official website

http://www.patriarchia.ru/db/text/4850616.html

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.