Since last year, the Kiev régime has engaged in aggressive operations against the DNR and LNR, leading to massive casualties, involving thousands of innocent people, including women, children, and the elderly. According to official UN data, the civil war that Kiev unleashed in the Donbass resulted in more than 6,500 people dead and about 16,500 injured. More than a million people in the Donbass had to leave their homes and flee the area. All these actions of the Kiev régime are direct violations of the Geneva Conventions of 1949 and violations of the laws and customs of war; they constitute the execution of a policy of genocide against the DNR’s and LNR’s civilian population. They’re crimes against humanity.
With the outbreak of hostilities in the Donbass, we organised efforts to collect and compile evidence of crimes against humanity by the Ukrainian Army and National Guard, which are inherently death squads. We’ve collected much facts to date. To carry out this important task, the DNR and LNR jointly established and now operate an interagency investigation group, to investigate war crimes of the Ukrainian aggressors in the Donbass. This group has members from the Genprokuratura, the People’s Militia*, MGB*, MVD, and MChS of our two republics. They’ve collected extensive evidence of the guilt of Ukrainian security officials who ordered massive artillery bombardments on urban areas in the DNR and LNR, the use of non-conventional munitions against civilians, torture, abductions, and brutalisation of innocent people. The most resonant crimes of the Kiev régime in the Donbass are now widely known the world community:
- Massive civilian casualties due to Ukrainian artillery shells hitting a trolleybus stop in Donetsk
- Pre-planned air strikes by Ukrainian attack aircraft on the GMA* building in Lugansk and the adjacent Heroes of the Great Patriotic War Square, which killed 8 and seriously injured 28 innocent people
- The use of white phosphorus munitions against residential neighbourhoods in Slavyansk, Kramatorsk, Lisichansk, and Gorlovka, amongst other places in the Donbass
- Significant evidence linking Ukrainian “soldiers” and “National Guard” to massacres of civilians, shown by dozens of mass graves found in territory temporarily occupied by the Ukrainian aggressors in the DNR and LNR
Considering that new information of these and other crimes by the Kiev régime surfaces daily, work in this area continues uninterrupted. Only a year after the outbreak of hostilities in the Donbass, Kiev attempted to issue dissimulation that they were punishing individuals in so-called “volunteer battalions”, criminally responsible for looting, torture, rape, and other crimes against civilians in the Donbass. However, their attempts to arrest and detain the armed criminals proved fruitless. It’s rather pointless to expect an objective investigation of the facts and for fair sentences upon these butchers. Therefore, it’s our shared viewpoint that the world community should enable responsible international bodies to investigate all violations of international humanitarian law and crimes against humanity in the Donbass.
- People’s Militia: It’s unclear whether this means the armed forces or the police, as “militia” was the Soviet-era term for the police
- MGB: Ministry of State Security
- GMA: State Municipal Administration, administrative apparat of a city
For a categorical criminal prosecution of the Ukrainian aggressors for their war crimes in the Donbass, the DNR and LNR appeal to the UN Security Council to establish an International Tribunal to prosecute those responsible for violations of international humanitarian law and crimes against humanity in the Ukraine. We ask the UN Secretary General, the permanent members of the UN Security Council… the USA, France, Britain, China, and the Russian Federation… without delay to discuss creating an International Tribunal at their next meeting and prepare an appropriate resolution. For our part, we undertake to transfer our knowledge, evidence, and other information about war crimes committed by Ukrainian security forces in the Donbass to help an objective investigation, to bring the perpetrators to justice.
DNR Chairman of the Government A V Zakharchenko
LNR Chairman of the Government I V Plotnitsky
8 July 2015
DAN Donetsk News Agency